On a typical summer day, it’s commonplace to encounter the smell of charcoal burning, drifting over from a neighbor’s yard. So how common can grill-related fires be? More than you think; take a look at this facts from the National Fire Protection Association.
- Three out of five households own a gas grill.
- In 2012, 16,900 patients went to emergency rooms because of injuries involving grills.
- One of every six grill-related home fires occurred because something that could catch fire was too close to the grill.
- Overall, leaks or breaks were factors in one of every five reported grill fires.
- Gas grills contribute to a higher number of home fires overall than their charcoal counterparts.