Summer marks the beginning of hurricane season. The Weather Channel has predicted a total of nine named storms, five hurricanes and one major hurricane during the 2015 season.* But as Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy have shown us, one storm can do a lot of damage.
- Be sure you are prepared no matter what the season holds with these tips.
- Stock up on emergency supplies. Have a week’s supply of water, plenty of nonperishable food items and refill necessary prescriptions for family members, including pets.
- Create an evacuation route for all family members. Identify two meeting places: one right outside the home and another outside the neighborhood in case access to the home is cut off. Make sure everyone knows the address and phone number of the second meeting place.
- Identify the location of community shelters.
- Fill vehicles’ gas tanks and make sure to have a car charger for cell phones.
- Review and understand insurance coverage. Understand deductibles for hurricane damage. Investigate flood insurance.